Wednesday, February 6, 2008

"What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us." A.W. Tozer

I've been chewing on that for a couple weeks now and honestly I'm ashamed of the raw thoughts I've hidden deep within my heart. My view of the Creator of the world has been so casual, so simple, so not accurate. I've forgotten how HUGE and HOLY and BEYOND my understanding is our God. It doesn't matter that my mind can't fathom who God really is... all his glory and layers and power... because that just makes Him greater and more desirable. Looking at God in this light has given me more peace than I've had in a long time....

On January 31, Kevin and I were thrown a curve ball. He had his oral board interview (basically the last step before entering police academy) that day. We were beyond confident that he'd pass with flying colors. He came home devastated. There had been a discrepancy with the polygraph test prior to the interview and the board thought he was being dishonest so he was permenantely disqualified! It didn't matter whether he answered yes or no to the question, but the fact that he couldn't remember or was unsure about the answer made them question his honesty. One Officer (not a part of the board) said he was being too honest... trying too hard to answer with all sincerity. What a weird dilemna. So, where do we go from here?

Are we running from God? Are we following Jonah's footsteps and now stuck in a yucky fish? Is that why we've had so much uneasiness? Why has Kevin's pursuits of a normal/wordly job been unsuccessful?

Something clicked this week.

Kevin had been fighting the urge of becoming a junior high youth pastor for many years and for many valid reasons...fears... uncertainties. Yet, he's always been drawn to youth ministry. Working with students is one of his passions and he's VERY good at it. I've never seen anyone as gifted and fit for youth as Kevin. So through all this chaos, he's finally at a point where he can put aside the fears and start pursuing an occupation in full-time minstry. We're open to ANYTHING God has in store for us! It's funny how much more at peace I am, even though we're about to have a second daughter in 5 1/2 weeks, and we have NO IDEA where God's taking us!

BUT He is taking us somewhere... "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

3 comments:

The Trombleys said...

I was just about to write you and ask when the academy starts when I read your blog. It is great when God so blatantly directs us, but I am sure it is hard knowing how much you left behind when you moved. I will be praying for direction. Does this mean seminary or just applying at churches? Are y'all open to moving again?

I hope everything goes well the new little one coming along! Love, mary

Jen said...

Laura,

I'm sorry I didn't know about this sooner! I will be praying for you guys, of course. Dave Jeffreys, our pastor at The Vista was just talking about that "peace" yesterday at church. He said that before he & Kim decided to start the church plant in Belton he was offered 3 other pastoral positions at more traditional churches, which would've been the "safer" route or would "make more sense." But they didn't have a peace about it until they decided to plant The Vista. The Lord gave that peace, even though it was the most uncertain opportunity there. Keep your eyes on Him & I'm confident He will lead you where you should go. Love you!

Jennifer Owens said...

Wow, I can't believe you can be disqualified for being too sincere and overly honest! I'm excited for you guys though that it looks like the Lord is taking all of this in a different direction. It's funny how He always calls us back to where He wants us and uses the strangest ways of making it happen! Watching God at work though always brings joy and comfort. Keep trusting in Him guys! I'm sure your future is full of even more adventures!