Monday, June 2, 2008

Chosen


Here's some of my story for those of you who haven't heard...

I am who I am because of Jesus. My heart has been safely held in the hands of my God. I am in love with the King of the Universe and because of that I am at rest.

My dad died when I was 13 months old. I am an only child. My mom raised me on her own. She was a very talented seamstress. From Kindergarten thru 8th grade I went to a Catholic school. I learned a lot about God. He was the Creator. He made everything and everyone. He had a Son named Jesus who came to earth and died on a cross. I believed this, yet I didn't understand why Jesus died on a cross. I didn't understand for a long time.

My mom was beautiful. She was from Guatemala. She lived a hard life. We were pretty close. After 8th grade we decided to leave Indiana and head to Texas. We craved something new... something different... something refreshing. So we packed our bags and drove to Austin. Once we got settled in, life became what it was in Indiana. Nothing had changed other than the scenery. Bummer. But then a neighbor invited us to her church, a non-denominational Bible church. That is when my journey really began.

The kids in the youth group were different. There was something about them that drew me in. They had peace and excitement. They genuinely cared about each other. They took me in and became my friends. I began really watching them and trying to figure out what was different and how I could be like them. A year or so went by. Then something clicked. I learned why Jesus died on the cross. He died for sin. My sin. Your sin. Sin (all the stuff we say, do or think that displeases God) is a barrier between us and God. Since God is holy and perfect, He can't be around sin... and we are full of it. Thankfully, God loves us so much that He came up with a remedy. The remedy was His Son, Jesus. Jesus had to die for our sin. Blood had to be shed. Jesus took ALL of our sin (past, present, and future) upon himself. And died. For me; because of me. For you; because of you. But three days later, He rose from the dead. He conquered death! He is now alive! Once I understood that, I became alive as well. I finally admitted that I was a sinner and needed to be saved because without Jesus I was going to Hell. I told God that I believed in Him and Jesus and wanted a close, intimate relationship with Him. I wanted to be a part of His family and He gladly took me in. I became is daughter. I was so excited.

A couple weeks later things got hard. My mom was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. The doctor said it was terminal. I couldn't believe it. Why God? Why would you let this happen? Especially since I JUST became a part of your family! Aren't you suppose to keep us safe... and healthy? For two years my mom struggled with this horrible disease. I watched her body deteriorate. I watched her sink. She was alone. I wasn't really there for her. I was in high school and didn't know how to handle it well. She shed many lonesome tears. But God was there for her. He held her hand. He carried her when she couldn't walk anymore. He listened to her when she poured out her heart. He took her fears, her pain, her uncertainties. He did this because she was also His daughter. My mom enjoyed fellowship with God for 8 months before He took her home. She passed away one month before I graduated high school.

Fast forward 9 years and here I am now. I am a wife. I am a mother. God has given me an AMAZING husband and two BEAUTIFUL daughters. God has been faithful. He has taken good care of me. Looking back, I am reassured even more that God will continue to take care of us. He has our lives in complete control. I can rest. I can have peace. I can have joy. I can laugh. My God will never leave me or forsake me. You can have this as well. Ask God. He'll be there for you. He'll take you into His family... just as you are.

4 comments:

Dacia said...

i love your story, laura! i admire your resiliance!

i love how you so perfectly weaved the gospel message into it. that is exactly how God wants us to tell our stories, i'm sure. :-)

ps. i have a blog, now so i can comment on my friends' blogs! yay!

Jen said...

I love your story, too, Laura. Thank you for sharing so the world may know how great our God is!

Jennifer Owens said...

You have a beautiful redemptive story Laura. I am glad to see God's grace, mercy and goodness poured over your life. Thanks for sharing - I never knew these things about you. You are truly an amazing woman. I hope you spend a lifetime enjoying the family God has blessed you with.

Davidlwjt said...

logistics supply chain jobs. Get the latest michigan job and employment news. Michigan job search michigan business news ann arbor business. Part time job, teen jobs, seasonal jobs, summer jobs, students jobs. Attention paralegal professionals, legal secretaries and or attorneys are you tired of working for other people and worrying about your future. Seniorjobbank is an online job site serving the over 50 community where job seekers can search job listings and apply and employers can post their job openings. Usa 637 nation wide jobs michigan state wide jobs alger county 4. Sociable xanax addiction press has totally changed the internet and modifications the way in which perceived the internet. Uaw mourns passing of former vp gooden bipartisan bill would streamline organizing drives new contract protects hospital workers rights fraser, dingell honored. View press operator jobs available in michigan on careerjet, the search engine for jobs in the usa.