Monday, July 21, 2008

good. better? best!

This story came to mind while doing dishes the other night. It happened about 2 years ago. While we were working with 5th and 6th grade at church we decided to take one of the students out to eat. We'll call him Bob. Bob comes from a broken home in a run down neighborhood. He was one of our "challenging" kids, but we sure did enjoy him! Since he didn't go out to eat much, we wanted to treat him to some yummy food. We went to The Texas Roadhouse. We told him he could order ANYTHING he wanted. He sat there for awhile looking over the menu. We were excited to spoil him... to give him something special, out of the ordinary. When the waitor took our order, he happily ordered macaroni and cheese. We were floored. There was SO much he could have ordered, yet he stuck with macaroni and cheese. Something so simple. Part of us was disappointed. But Bob was not. He thoroughly enjoyed his macaroni.

We learned some things that day.

This is what Kevin learned... (written by Kevin)
We learned that when we get used to the ordinary and bland things, we don't have a taste for greatness. When we get used to asking God for normal and small things, we forget all that He has to offer. God wants to give us the world, and we can't even recognize it because we forget that God has great things in store for us. God wants to give us filet mignon, and we stick with the plain old mac and cheese.

On the flip-side this is what I learned....
Bob was content. Even though tempted with food of greater value, he went for something simple. Am I okay with mac and cheese? Or would I pout until I got something more expensive? Living in our culture today, we are constantly bombarded with the "need" for more and more and more. Greed is eating us up! When I start playing the comparison game and take my eyes off of what really matters (Jesus), I am NOT content. When I look at the lives of those around me, I begin to want what they have. I forget that God has given me EXACTLY what He wants me to have. He is my provider and has promised to always take care of me.

Anyways...
Needless to say, we are always learning more and more about God and His ways.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Awesome story:)

Dacia said...

very true!

Jen said...

You've just been awarded by me the "Brillante Weblog Award" Go to my entry on Tuesday, July 29 for further instructions...

JMBMOMMY said...

What a great story. Love how God teaches us through life.